Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Past weekend

This past weekend was a good one. We went on a hike around Hood River, around the hills of Mosier. It was a great little hike. There was Balsamroot, which look just like miniature Sunflowers. Other plants include: Desert Parsley, Purple Vetch, White Yarrow, Blue Bachelor Buttons. Everything is in full bloom. I wrote a haiku.

The Gorge
Indelibly Etched
cornucopia of Life
Hills of majesty

We saw pigs run into the street on our way up. It was so entertaining to see the farmer attempting to round them up, and encourage them to go in the correct direction. The eventually got out of the street and ran in and out of the trees in the orchard. The pigs looked like they were having a blast.

As I was walking along the path I heard a frightening noise right by my foot. I jumped and screamed, and then looked to see what it was. It was a rattlesnake! Danny and I were not very smart about how we handled the situation. I just think we both were so caught off guard because we were not expecting rattlesnakes to be in the area. We stood around it and looked at it for a little while before we figured out it was a rattlesnake. Danny took pictures, and I just stood there still in shock. It was coiled up and we didn't think much of it. Now I know this is the position they are in before they strike. Man, I feel pretty stupid looking back. I also feel very blessed that nothing happened.

Danny and I are going camping in a couple weeks, and I know we are going to continue hiking and camping for many years, so I think it would be wise for us to educate ourselves on what to do when encountering different reptiles, animals, etc.

Mother's Day was fun. We got to spend it with both our moms at different times. It was a nice relaxing day, and both our moms seems to enjoy their day. I have to get back to work.

No comments: