Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crater Lake





I probably won't be able to get through the whole trip recap, but I will get started on it.

Disclaimer: My brain is a little iffy right now because I busted my butt painting all day, and didn't really take any breaks. Then I came home and made dinner, so I am pretty tired. Danny and I made cherry chicken lettuce wraps for the first time, and they were delicious.

Day 1 (Saturday): Danny and I drove a little over 6 hours to get to Crater Lake. It was so beautiful. A little Crater Lake background: It was once Mt. Mazama, which erupted, imploded on itself, and is now Crater Lake. It's the deepest lake in the US, and the 7th deepest in the world.

In the beginning of the day we were at the rim village at Crater Lake (where there's a lot of people), and not a single person spoke English. This was a common theme throughout our trip (to a lesser extent elsewhere). It was odd, we were the minority. The majority were composed of Indians (people from India, not Native Americans), and Asians.

We snowshoed along the rim of Crater Lake, and set up our tent overlooking Wizard Island. We ate dinner on a fallen tree branch (as pictured). It was really peaceful. We had the whole place to ourselves. We did not see a single other person once we passed the road barrier.

K, that's about as much as I can handle right now. I have my art reception tomorrow in Corvallis. I am pretty excited about it. It will be nice closure. I will add more tomorrow.

To check out more of Danny's Crater Lake pictures visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvarner/

No comments: