Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Librería

Yesterday:
Do you remember how I told you guys about how we have to set our clocks forward an hour here? Well, we forgot. Danny was an hour late to work today, and I was an hour late to class. Luckily everyone was understanding. My homework for today was to survey three people from Cordoba. It was a short survey, but I had to ask them questions and explain what I was doing in Spanish. I was so scared. I had such high anxiety after she asked me to do it, but I knew it would be good for me. I went to Intel and asked the women who works at the front desk, that went alright. I jumble my words when I get nervous, and that happened a few times, but I got through it.

I was walking back home thinking, I knew the women at the front desk, so what was I going to do when I had to ask a stranger. Then I thought, I should go ask my book store friend, Sergio (I mentioned him in a previous entry). He owns an old bookstore and is a professor of history. It went WONDERFULLY! One of his friends stopped by, René, who is a professor of geology and earth sciences. They attempted to speak English, and I attempted to speak Spanish for two hours. It was great. They ordered cafe con leche (even though it was 90 degrees outside) and we all attempted to speak a non-native language. It made me feel so much more safe because they didn't know my language and I don't know there's.

I know practicing with natives is one of the best ways to learn a new language, so I am going to stop in the bookstore more often and just chat. At first I felt obligated to buy a book, but I think I can just go in now and say 'let's practice.'

No comments: