Friday, October 17, 2008

Salta, Argentina


Here's an update about our vacation. There are so many things to tell you, but I will attempt to limit it. We left Friday night and took a snazzy bus to Salta, Argentina. Salta is in the northern part of Argentina-past the Tropic of Capricorn. The bus showed movies, served food, and the seats reclined to a 'Lazy Boy' position. It was like first class on an airplane. The buses here are usually double deckers, and they are really nice. While I was on the bus (and several other times) I couldn't help but think about how fortunate Danny and I are to be here, and to have this opportunity. I am so thankful, and know this has been a gift. Before we left to come to Argentina I wondered if we were silly for having our life hang in the balance for so long, waiting to here if we were going to be able to come here, and I can say with confidence I am glad we waited.

Back to the story...It was a 12 hour trip from Cordoba to Salta. It's set up so you can go at night, sleep on the bus, and arrive in the morning- smart thinking. We went on excursions all day Sunday and all day Monday with a guide. We went to different villages through out the province of Salta and Jujuy.

I loved seeing a different side of Argentina. The area has the highest population of indigenous people in Argentina. They look completely different from other Argentines. This is caused by the higher altitude. The highest point of our trip was at 4200 meters (That's 13,780 feet) above sea level. To give the Oregonians a point of reference: Mt. Hood reaches 11,245 feet. The people living there have adapted and developed more red blood cells to compensate for the decreased level of oxygen. They have much thicker, darker hair and thicker, darker skin to protect themselves from the sun and other variants in the climate.

Danny and I climbed up a hill and we felt like we had just ran a marathon. We were breathing so hard. It's that desperate kind of breathing when you feel like you're breathing through a straw. We were told later not to run, jump, bend down too fast because of the level of oxygen being lower. People not used to the elevation can easily get altitude sickness, that was easy to believe after being in it for a few minutes.

On the first day we went to Purmamarca, Jujuy, San Salvidor, San Antonio de los Cobres, the salt flats, and other places I cannot remember. There are villages in Salta where the people do not have money. Each family grows/raises a specific crop/animal in a community and they live by trade. For example one family is in charge of raising chickens and the next family is in charge of growing alfalfa, and so on...They live by trading resources with one another. I love that.

We ate lunch in a very poor village, San Antonio de los Cobres, which is a small mining town. The guide recommended a restaurant and we ate Llama. Yes, that's right, the animal that spits a foul smelling fluid. It was quite good-similar to Bison. It did not have a gamey taste at all. It tasted like a lean cut of beef. Speaking of beef, I ate that for lunch too, and boy was it good. Mmmmm....Beef good enough to make a vegetarian cry.

We took the famous 40 national route to the Salt Flats (Salinas Grandes). Agreeably our favorite part of the trip. The area is shaped like a bowl with mountains 360 degrees around. Salt water flows into the area and settles because it has no place to go. It is then collected, mixed with iodine, and shipped right to a store nearest you. I skipped a few steps, but you get the idea.

It was amazing to walk on salt and feel it compact and crunch beneath our feet. It was a similar feeling to walking on snow. Much of it was similar to snow. It was blinding white as far as your eye could see- amplified by the sun. There were sections of rectangles approximately 4' x 7' dug out of the ground where the salt is collected. The rectangles contain salt and water, which results in a beautiful affect. Miniature crystals are formed, creating a dance of prisms. Much like sunshine on a snowy day.

I will post pictures later. This is getting to be pretty long, and I'd like to post this today, so I am going to end here, and I will post about our second day either tomorrow or Sunday. Speaking of Sunday I have to remember to set my clock forward 1 hour. You guys set your clocks back in November, and then we will be 6 hours different. Sunday is also my papa's birthday, and then my birthday is the week after that. I am going to be 24 years old. Tengo viente cuatro anos...Man, I don't feel 24.

Thanks for the prayers for my health. I am feeling much better, thank you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really cool. Llama, wow, Bear Grylls would be proud. Did you see any natural bonsai when you were at high elevation? I bet they have some different types of trees there. Does danny have the tree species down yet? lol

Diego said...

"Beef good enough to make a vegetarian cry"... lol

Lizzie said...

Diego-
You like that? It's true isn't it?