Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ocktoberfest


Sunday:
We drove in three separate cars with a group of friends from Intel to go to Oktoberfest. On our way up we stopped off at a place that offers Ziplining across the lake. It was $10's! There are some things that are more expensive here, but when it comes to services it is definitely cheaper. We drove between an hour and a half and two hours to get to a German refugee village, Villa General Belgrano. The village was named in honor of the man who created the Argentine flag. During WWII some Germans made there home in this village and it has remained a Germanic village to this day. There was a parade through the streets with people dressed up in lederhosen and national costumes. There was food traditional of Argentina and some traditional of Germany, and of course beer.

We stopped at a river after lunch and had some amazing aged salami, cheese, and homemade bread... Oh yeah, my digestive system is so much better here. I don't know what it is. I won't dare eat straight up dairy products, but it has been so much better. I can eat pork (in moderation), and basically all the other stuff I haven't been able to eat. I think I O.D.'d on the salami on Sunday. I was so happy that I could eat it that I just kept on chowing down. I also ate cookies and pastries!!!!! Delightful!

A couple of Danny's work buddies said he was spoiled because everyone was speaking English around him and he wasn't ever going to learn Spanish, so that meant we spoke in a lot of Spanish after that. We both really enjoyed it. It's amazing how much effort and energy it takes to speak in a non-native language. It's good for us.

It was such a peaceful day. By the river we heard some rustling in the bushes and saw that there were 3 cows (vaca) on the other side of the river. No fence or anything. I went over to talk with them, a little in Spanish and a little in English, and they started to cross the river to my side. I wasn't sure what to expect from them. I knew they weren't bulls, so I wasn't too worried, but a little. It ended up they were quite friendly. They just hung out and ate grass next to us while we ate our salami. Like I said, very relaxing.

I didn't watch the full video, but this is a little glimpse into what Oktoberfest is like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZhI5XIMiz0

2 comments:

Diego said...

Woman, you really love animals, don´t you?! :D

I convinced myself about that when I saw you following that cow.

I feel guilty about talking to you all the time in english, but, on the plus side, consider that you are improving mine! :D

Lizzie said...

Yes, I do love animals. Ever since I was a little girl I have had a special fondness for them. Don't feel guilty at all. I am glad to be helping you out :)