Tuesday, November 4, 2008

US ELECTION DAY

It is so strange to be an outsider, listening in on what is happening with the US election. This is a historical election and there is a part of me that wishes I could transport there to be a part of it. Some of you might wish you could transport somewhere else to get away from it :-)

This weekend was a relaxing one. We went to their museum of modern art, ate at a well known Lomito restaurant (Lomito's are sandwiches with thin beef strips prepared with a lemon flavored sauce-they are delicious), and we went out of town to Villa Carlos Paz. Danny and I have really enjoyed the different art museums here. Like all art museums, some of the work is unexplainable and just weird, but some of it has been my favorite work I've seen.

We went to Villa Carlos Paz on Sunday to go to a swimming area. It's where the Cordobes go on hot weekends in the summer. But we didn't not find anything remotely close to what we saw in the brochures. The Willamette River looked clean compared to the water here. We are pretty certain the swimming area was on the opposite side of the town from where we were. We will probably go back later when some of Danny's work buddies can show us the spot. We went to one of our favorite lunch spots yet. It wasn't because of the food, although the food was good, but the atmosphere. There was a glass divider between the dining area and the 'quincho'. The 'quincho' is the whole area where the meat is cooked on the parrilla. There were 4 whole goats hanging over the parrilla and several rows of meat, slow cooking for hours. We loved watching the asadors (the men who prepare the asado) at work.

We went to a huge market place over the weekend as well. They do not waste meat around here. There are tongues, heart, brains, kidneys, livers, intestines...the works being sold at this market. I like to try new things, but brain, heart, and tongue will not be on my dinner plate. They have skinned whole goats, pigs, cows, hanging. It is an amazing site to see. I love market places. They make me feel alive. There is so much activity, creativity, community. People are there enjoying food and each other company. Qúe rico!

5 comments:

Kgriz said...

What is a parilla?

Kgriz said...

Also, what is que rico? Have you eaten goat? I don't know if I could eat goat, they are so funny and have such personalities.

Lizzie said...

A parrilla is synonymous with grill. Que rico! Is like saying, "How delicious!" to us. That is not a direct translation, but it's the same idea. No, I have not eaten goat. I wouldn't mind eating it though. The odd things I have eaten have all been by the recommendation of someone else, and know one has recommended goat yet, so I have yet to eat it.

Lizzie said...

BTW- 'rico' means 'rich' in English. It's a word they use to describe really good food.

Unknown said...

Like Rico Suave? Really smooth? just taking a shot in the dark 9 years later =)