Monday, April 6, 2009

Went to Bend





So, for my graduation present Danny and I went to Bend. The first day we went snowshoeing to Paulina Lake in the Newberry Caldera and camped out. It snowed 2 inches while we slept and that was on an already 3 feet of snow. There were 30 mph hour winds, and it was cold! We had fun, but I don't think we'll be back to camp in the snow anytime soon. It was a learning experience.

The second day We went snowshoeing back to our car and headed to Cabin Creek Bed and Breakfast. I cannot say enough about how much I loved this place. The word perfection has been tossed around many times when describing this place. The hostess, Melody, makes homemade cookies for you every night, and superb breakfasts every morning. This woman needs to be cloned. She even has a movie collection, well, for me it's a collection, I don't really buy movies, so it seemed like a big selection.

It's decorated with sort of a modern western motif, and the rooms could not be more cozy. She has kept everything impeccably clean. I could go on and on. Okay, I will a little more. There was a king-sized bed with silk sheets, a hot tub outside, a gas fireplace that can be seen from both sides. It kind of acts as a divider between the room, and where the hydrotherapy jacuzzi is. So you can see it from the jacuzzi and from the bedroom. We stayed in the room called, "Cabin Romance," and I would highly recommend it if you want to try it out.
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/oregon-bend-cabincreekbedandbreakfast-reviews.html

The first night we ordered in from China Doll, and their Beef Lo Mein is delicious, and extremely cheap, and they have really big portions. It lasted both Danny and I two meals.

The third day we went to the High Desert Museum. If you're in the area, I would recommend it. Danny and I thought we would spend an hour or so there, but we ended up staying for 4 hours. There was so much to see. If you like history at all it's filled with lots of it!

We went to some hidden ice caves afterward. That sounds cooler than what they are. We went to two of them, one (Boyd) was vandalized with spray paint and someone built a campfire in it. I have been to ice caves before, but this one I did not feel that safe at. Ice caves are dark, you have to bring a head lamp, lantern, or flashlight (or some other source of light). Boyd was a lava tube, basically a pathway formed where lava used to flow. They are cold, and the ones I have seen have really cool icicles coming from the ceiling.

The second ice cave we went to was called Arnold cave. It's not really a cave though. It looks like someone through a few grenades or dynamite somewhere and blew a big hole in the earth. It's where people used to get there ice 100 years ago, before those fancy freezers came along.

That night we went out to a very nice dinner at Zydeco. Another place I would highly recommend. It's a bit spendy, but worth every penny. There bread is the best bread I have ever eaten. It's from the Village Baker. It is amazing. Danny got Baby back ribs, and I got the red fish with dungeness crab. Both were excellent.

I have to go to a meeting. I hope you Portlander's enjoyed the beautiful day today!

No comments: