Saturday, September 13, 2008

Arrived in Argentina

We don't have internet in our place yet, and wireless internet is not as big here as it is in Portland. I just want to let you all know we made it here safely, and I haven't been able to call because I need Internet to call. I have it here, but I am in a restaurant, and it's a music place and they play their music really loud, so I can't really talk right now. I am going to be straight up with you all and let you know that I am having a really hard time right now. We have not met a single person who speaks English and it's been really hard for me to get adjusted to. Danny's boss picked us up from the airport and dropped us off and came back later that night to show us the necessities around town, so he has been a God send for us. I realize I have been here for two days and it can only get better, but both Danny and I could really use your prayers. This experience has already brought us closer and we have had fun learning new things, but it's still difficult as well. On a more positive note the empanadas are AMAZING! I love and miss you all!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi Lizzie,

I just wanted to share with you a portion of a devotional that I read recently. It has been comfporting to me in our recent move and trying to adjust to our new life.


The book I am reading from right now is "Weatherproof your heart" by Gigi Graham (daughtrer of Bill and Ruth Bell Graham). Background to this book on her life: she is a young wife and mom fo 2 babies, her husband has moved their family to a small twon in Switzerland where she does not know the language and knows noone.

She writes: Some of my fears are real; some are imaginary. Some are physical; others, psychological or emotional. Some are for myself and some are for loved ones.
Whatever the fear, I have felt it keenly--an unpleasant experience. Invariably, the bridge between dispair and hope looks awesome and precarious. When I am looking down into myself--my circumstances, my feelings, my emotions--instead of looking up and trusting in Him, whom my soul loves.

"Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full into His wonderful face;
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace."

We are lifted above our circumstances when we look into the face of Jesus.

Suzanne said...

Sorry....Lots of love and prayers for both you and Danny.

Suzanne

Kgriz said...

Hi Lizzie and Suzanne- Suzanne, even though I am not the one who is away from all that is familiar, the words from the devotional are still comforting to me. I remember feeling really sad this summer when I was in Florida. I missed everyone and I could talk to people most any time I wanted to on the phone. 90% of the people spoke English, so I can imagine how difficult it is for Lizzie right now when she seems to be cut off from contact with her "peeps".

Even though you didn't move so far away, Suzanne, it's still really hard to start over in building up a support base and community.

Anyway, today was a really bad "I miss Lizzie day." I didn't talk to her today, which I think is A first over the two weeks they've been gone. I am hoping and praying that the Internet challenge will come together tomorrow.
Love to you both,
Momma G.

Lizzie said...

Hi Suzanne-
Thank you for your message, that does help. I feel like my emotions are drastic and fluctuating. I think I am switching between looking up at Him and looking down into my feelings. I like this part, "We are lifted above our circumstances when we look into the face of Jesus." Thanks again. I miss you. How are you adjusting? You can send me a personal E-mail if you don't want to post it on here. Love you,
Lizzie

Lizzie said...

hi mama,
I didn't have internet access yesterday. Lo siento. I will e-mail you.