Monday, December 22, 2008

Flight number

This is for the Varner's and my parents, but our flight number is AS 563 from LA to PDX.

It is totally weird. We are in the airport in Chile, and I think about how far I have come since I was here last. I remember crying the last time we were here- from the culture shock, and the humiliation of not being able to order a sandwich. Now, most people are ordering their food, speaking English, and I am feeling really sad that I am not forced to speak in Spanish. We will still speak in Spanish to other people until we get to LA. And, I guess if there are Hispanic people in LA, we will talk to them in Spanish too. I want to really find a group of people to speak with.

It's funny, I was just in Cordoba today, and when I was there with people from Intel I spoke in English. I am sort of regretting that. I am getting bugged with how much English I am hearing. Everyone is talking in English. Why am I bugged with this? I speak in English. That doesn't seem fair to my own language. I am still in Chile though, I feel like I should be hearing Spanish.

We met a friend on the plane from Peru, and it was really fun to chat with him (in Spanish). I cannot tell you his name, I have never heard it before. He wrote it on a piece of paper for us, but I can't remember because it was long and very different.

I love how people we meet want to continue to keep in contact with us. I love to be relational with them. When we meet people here, and talk for 20 minutes- it feels like I have known them for a really long time. The depth is reached quickly. I hope, as a culture, that will always remain the same. I am going to head out now. I am excited to see you guys, and go sledding. We are still in our summer clothes, so we have to adjust quickly!

No comments: