Friday, December 19, 2008

Intel Party

Today was the last day of class for me, and the last day of work for Danny. I shared my feelings about this yesterday, and it was kind of the same thing today. The great thing was that I got to see Florencia again before I left. She went to Brazil for vacation and I didn't think I was going to see her again. So, I got to say goodbye again. My current teacher, Fanny, made earring for me for a Christmas present. I thought that was the sweetest thing. Both Danny and I are a little mopey tonight. We can't believe we are leaving. There's a possibility that we will return. Oh, how I would love that!

We went to the end of the year party for Intel. It was a lot of fun, of course. Some of the people who work at Intel performed some live music for us. I don't think I have mentioned this previously, but there are a lot of musically talented people in Argentina. Especially in the province of Salta. 'Folklorico' is there passion, and there is typically a guitar in every household. Evidently, everyone in Salta knows how to play the guitar.

We left the party at around 2:30am, and I felt like we were 'retiring early.' I am constantly amazed at how late people can stay up here. It's been over 3 months, and I still cannot wrap my head around how they can continue staying up so late. We arrived home a little before 3am, and more people were out on the streets at 3am then there are during the middle of the day, or at least in our neighborhood. I guess right now I am being very Argentinian. It's after 11:30pm and we have still not eaten dinner. We will go out pretty soon.

Today, we went out for some beers and appetizers after Danny got off work, as a final send off. We tried cow tongue, that was descent, but I probably won't eat it again anytime soon. Danny tried cow stomach, but that was too far for me. I have seen that hanging in the market, and wondered what it was, and felt squeamish just looking at the texture.

Apparently they eat/use every part of the cow except for the colon. We were sitting with a guy that lived in a farm area 'el campo', and he has eaten every part of the cow. If you are someone who gets grossed out easily- don't read the next line. In the farm area they cut of the cows head, skin it, drill a hole in the top of the scull and wrap it in aluminum foil and cook it over hot coals. They actually bring the whole cows head to the table! Oh my word. We better head out to get our food.

***I recorded the Intel band playing, but the sound quality on my camera is really bad, so I didn't put it on here, but I put a little clip of everyone enjoying themselves, and dancing. Sorry, for the sound. BUT...The good news is, my camera works again!

No comments: