Monday, December 1, 2008

Mosquito war


Yesterday we saw 007:Quantum of Solace. I would not recommend it, but it was okay. I left sort of feeling like it wasn't over, and there wasn't really much of a message to it. I am not a movie critic, but that's my opinion. I like the Bourne Series much more. After the movie we walked to the Artisan's Market, and strolled around. It's always fun to see the things people create. I love marketplaces.

I know I am a Varner now, but I still have Griswold blood. And this is a type of thing a Griswold would do:

Mosquitoes absolutely love me here-it's ridiculous. I wake up with a new bite on me almost every morning. In Buenos Aires I woke up with 10 new bites. We have the most powerful repellent you can buy, but I haven't used it when I sleep because I am not outdoors. I started to get the hint that it doesn't matter where I am- the mosquitoes will find me. Apparently, you're not supposed to spray it indoors anyway, and it has all these rules (none of which I was aware of before using it). So, last night a mosquito kept buzzing around my ears waking my up. (BTW- I am a more sensitive sleeper here. A mosquito would have NEVER woken me up before. If you know me, you know how hard I am to wake up.)

Anyway, I get out the repellent and spray myself and go back to bed. He returned for another visit later and I sprayed the repellent on our sheets (which I also find out you're not supposed to do), and then I crawled back in bed to go back to sleep. He was back again, by this time it was about 3am, and I was so frustrated! I didn't turn on the lights, I thought I would spray myself even more with the repellent, just to get the stupid thing to leave me alone. I felt where the hole was on the sprayer, in order to avoid spraying myself in the eye, and turned it away from me (or so I thought). I ended up spraying A DIRECT SHOT into my left eye!!! I screamed in shock and pain, and ran to the bathroom. It stung so bad. I freaked out Danny, and he woke up in a panic and thought something was seriously wrong with me. I had to flush my eye with water for 15 minutes while Danny read the bottle to make sure I was going to be okay. I felt like a spaz-especially since the thought went through my head, 'point it away from you, so you don't spray it in your eye.' It was a lot of hassle, but I will say that the mosquito never bothered me again.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Wow Lizzie! Loved the mosquito story! I can just see you now!!! Loved it!! Also--your turkey looked GREAT!! Good for you!! And the Tango dancing looks like it would be fun! Glad you two are experencing so many new and exciting things...even mosquitos and gaint grasshoppers! Loved talking with this morning! Can't wait till your back--you are missed! --Carol

Heidi B said...

Love your complete transparency. You are my hero and I am living Argentina vicariously through your blog. Those skeeters must love you because you are so sweet.

Heidi

Hi. How are you? said...

ha! Oh no! I'm glad your eye is okay....good story though....HI!...by the way:)

Lizzie said...

Ladies-
I am glad you guys enjoyed the mosquito story :D I loved talking with you too Carol. I have to go pack. I got side tracked and haven't done it yet. Ooops :D

Kgriz said...

Lizzie- I love how you link your, "oops, I did a retarded thing" to your Griswold genes!!!